Grand Union's priority is live performance, and over the last 25 years we have toured all over the UK and to many parts of the world.
Winter Season 2014
Grand Union’s main preoccupation throughout 2014 is an ambitious international project with partner companies in Franceand Portugal, supported by a substantial grant from the Euorpean Union Culture Fund. It culminates in a new show Undream’d Shores at the Hackney Empire Theatre, November 1st to 3rd. More details – including performances in Portugaland France – will be announced as they are confirmed.
In preparation for this show, Wilton’s Music Hall has very generously given us the use of the Hall for a series of creative workshops Saturday 15th to Saturday 22nd February. The full programme appears here. Participation is by invitation only – please email or phone us if you would like to attend one of the sessions or come to the final presentation.
Meanwhile the ever-popular Bengal to Bethnal Green, directed by tabla maestro Yousuf Ali Khan and showcasing the best of Bengali music and culture in East London, returns for a second season of monthly Sunday afternoons at Rich Mix. February 9th, March 9th, April 13th.
9th February, 9th March, 13th April
Rich Mix Arts Centre, 35-47 Bethnal Green Road, London E1 6LA
www.richmix.org | 020 7613 7498 | Free Admission
Highlights of 2013
Trading Roots performances:
- Colchester, Arts Centre
- Cambridge, West Road Concert Hall
- London, Rich Mix Arts Centre
- Southampton, Turner Sims Concert Hall
- Setúbal, Music Festival
- Lisbon, Museu do Oriente
- London, Wilton’s Music Hall
- Alès, Fête de la Musique
- Birmingham, mac Arena
- Leeds, City Varieties Music Hall
- Liverpool, Capstone Theatre
Music Untamed - Hackney Empire Theatre
On the Edge – four-day world jazz festival, Wilton’s Music Hall
Grand Union Orchestra 2012
- Liberation and Remembrance – Hackney Empire (London Jazz Festival)
- The Golden Highway – Hackney Empire (London 2012 Festival)
- What the River Sings – Trinity Buoy Wharf (BBC Music Nation Festival)
- 11.11.11 – Hackney Empire (Remembrance Day event)
- Battle of Cable Street – Wilton’s Music Hall (75th anniversary commemoration)
- If Paradise – Queen Elizabeth Hall (also CD launch based on Radio 3 broadcast)
- Four-day World Jazz Festival
- Wilton’s Music Hall
- Portugal (Setúbal)
- All About Jazz profile
- If Paradise at the Queen Elizabeth Hall
- 11.11.11 at the Hackney Empire
- If Paradise CD
For full details of our available shows, the latest line-up of the Grand Union Orchestra and our current Learning and Participation programme, go to press and bookings.